Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments
Skin rejuvenation technology has evolved considerably in recent years and intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments have become a reliable method for correcting a multitude of skin concerns. Using a state-of-the-art IPL system, our plastic surgeon—Richard Zeff, MD—and his experienced team help women and men achieve smoother, clearer, more youthful-looking skin with customized photorejuvenation treatment plans. At our practice we use the Ellipse® Nordlys system to perform effective, customized IPL treatments to deliver glowing, beautiful skin.
To learn more about IPL and photofacial treatments, we welcome you to explore the informative sections provided below:
- What Are Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments?
- IPL Photofacial Benefits
- IPL Photofacial Candidates
- IPL Photofacial Procedure
- IPL Photofacial Cost
- Alternative Cosmetic Skin Therapies
What Are Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments?
Intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments—which are also commonly referred to as photofacial treatments—are designed to rejuvenate the appearance of skin on the face and body. During non-surgical, non-invasive IPL treatments various wavelengths of light are used to target specific skin concerns to improve skin’s tone, texture, and appearance. Photorejuvenation with IPL allows Dr. Richard Zeff to effectively treat brown spots, acne, rosacea, broken capillaries, wrinkles, red spots, sun damage, and other signs of skin aging without discomfort or the need for a lengthy recovery. With customized IPL treatment, patients are able to enjoy smoother, clearer, more youthful-looking skin.
What Are the Benefits of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments?
Intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments offer a broad spectrum of benefits which make photorejuvenation a popular method for skin rejuvenation at our practice:
- IPL offers a wide range of skin improvements, such as a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles, pigmented lesions (brown and red spots), vascular lesions (broken capillaries, telangiectasias, hemangiomas, Port Wine Stains), acne, rosacea, and sun damage.
- Treatment can be performed on many different skin tones and types.
- The Ellipse Nordlys multi-technology platform gives our skilled medical team unprecedented control. When you arrive for your initial consultation, we can customize the treatment plan to address a wide range of concerns. Furthermore, the technique can be refined during the course of the procedure to ensure the highest quality outcome possible.
- IPL is a gentle, virtually painless treatment. The cooling mechanism and Selective Waveband Technology of the Ellipse Nordlys have a reputation for providing a more pleasant patient experience.
- IPL treatment is considered both quick and effective.
- Photorejuvenation can be performed anywhere on the face or body.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments?
IPL photofacial treatments provide a multitude of cosmetic enhancement options for the right candidate. Individuals who are suitable for treatment should have no open wounds, active infections, history of abnormal scarring, or tattoos in the treatment area to qualify. Additionally, it’s best if you are not taking medications that make you photosensitive, have spray tan or self-tanner in the area, or have recently experienced significant sun exposure (leading to a tan or burn). Dr. Zeff or a member of his clinical staff will evaluate your concerns and discuss your health history to determine if this or another treatment can provide you with the optimal result in the safest manner possible.
What Can I Expect During Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments?
Before your IPL photorejuvenation treatment begins, a topical anesthetic cream will be applied to the treatment area(s) to numb the skin. When the skin is prepared, Dr. Zeff will choose the appropriate wavelength settings on the laser and proceed with applying pulses of light to the target areas. The handpiece is moved evenly across the skin’s surface and close attention may be paid to notable problem areas. Treatment typically takes 30 minutes or less, but timing can vary based on the size and number of the areas receiving photorejuvenation.
How Much Do Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Photofacial Treatments Cost?
At our practice, IPL photorejuvenation treatments can vary based on a variety of factors. Pricing can fluctuate depending on the location and size of the treatment area, as well as the intensity of the treatment. In some cases, Dr. Zeff may recommend a series of IPL treatments to achieve optimal skin rejuvenation. To receive an exact price estimate for IPL photorejuvenation treatments, please schedule a personal consultation.
Which Laser or Light Therapy Should I Choose for My Skin Concerns?
We are proud to offer a range of options for patients seeking improved skin quality and texture, and IPL photorejuvenation treatments are one such solution. IPL photorejuvenation treatments performed with the Nordlys by Ellipse offer more advanced skin remodeling, and downtime may be a little higher with this method than with other forms of light therapy. It can also work well for individual brown spots or more diffuse hyperpigmentation
We offer several effective treatments for improving the health and appearance of skin and the right option for you will depend on the nature of your concerns and the results you are hoping to achieve:
- Skin care products are the least aggressive treatment for most concerns.
- Skin care treatments, such as chemical peels, can offer varying degrees of correction for a multitude of skin concerns including acne, hyperpigmentation, and skin texture issues.
- IPL (intense pulsed light) offers moderately aggressive treatment for many skin concerns.
- Ablative or fractional CO2 lasers offer laser skin resurfacing—the most aggressive and effective treatment for brown/age spots and hyperpigmentation.
In each case, we recommend practicing good skin care before and after therapy to maximize the results and preserve the health and beauty of your skin in the long term.
If you would like to know more about IPL photorejuvenation treatment, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact our office today.